Natural Tips To Fight Prostate Cancer

If you have just been diagnosed with prostate cancer, your doctor may have given you a choice of treatment options. But what to choose and how?

Prostate cancer is the most common type of cancer among men, with over 200,000 cases diagnosed each year in the United States. It occurs when cells in the prostate, a gland located under the bladder that is necessary for proper sexual function in men, becomes cancerous due to a flux in testosterone. Most cases of prostate cancer don’t occur until after 50 years of age, but in recent years the percentage of men in their 30s and 40s diagnosed with prostate problems and prostate cancer has been steadily rising.

Conventional treatments for prostate cancer include surgery to remove the prostate gland or radiotherapy. These are aggressive options and complications including impotence and urinary incontinence can result from surgery, and the risk of secondary cancers is a concern since science already knows radiation exposure causes cancer.

The PSA blood test is another area of confusion. A report published in the June 2009 issue of “A Cancer Journal for Clinicians” shows routine PSA blood tests often result in over diagnosis of prostate cancer, which then results in unnecessary treatments. The PSA test can be deceptive. There can be different reasons for an elevated PSA level, including prostate cancer, benign prostate enlargement, inflammation, infection, age and race.

In the United States over one million prostate cancer tissue biopsy procedures are performed. Approximately 25% are reported as positive, indicating the presence of prostate cancer. The remaining 75% are reported negative. But the alarming fact is that one-third of the men who originally had prostate tissue biopsies that reported negative for prostate cancer actually do have prostate cancer but it was missed by the biopsy. There is also concern biopsies can spread cancer.

Prostate cancer is typically slow growing and is very much a disease that can be managed…if you make the appropriate lifestyle changes. Early detection is important and there are natural and nutritional agents that can help you to prevent and treat prostate cancer.

1. Get lots of sun exposure to drive up your vitamin D levels. A recent study found men with prostate cancer are seven times less likely to die if they have high levels of vitamin D.

2. A study conducted at the University of Illinois found a relationship between prostate cancer and the daily consumption of broccoli and tomatoes. These are natural lycopene foods, as are raspberries and watermelon, which contain compounds that can fight cancer.

3. Keep your insulin levels below three as high insulin levels drive and promote cancer.

4. Free radical damage from oxidative stress acquired through aging or exposure to cancer-causing substances is associated with an increase in a man’s risk for prostate cancer. Taking certain antioxidants, such as vitamin E, selenium and lycopene are thought to lower this risk.

5. We know that our diets are intimately linked to the formation of cancer, and yet most of us continue to eat poorly. One reason that a diet rich in fresh fruit and vegetables is cancer-preventative is due to its rich glyconutrient and phytochemical content. Studies in numerous scientific journals, including “Molecular Urology”, have shown that glyconutrients not only retarded human prostate cancer cell growth, but also encouraged their destruction. It is also believed that glyconutritional supplementation may enhance the effects of chemotherapy.

To find out more about natural and alternative ways of fighting prostate cancer click on the link below.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *